Subject: Re: [Leica] Vacation... lighten up
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:20:27 +0200

Ted,

It is actually possible to combine shooting with a family vacation, and for me
there is no other option--I simply do not have the luxury of going on dedicated
photography trips by myself. Last year when I went to Israel the family was
perfectly happy to lounge around the pool and take the occasional dip in the Dead
Sea while I drove around in the desert and took pictures. My trick was to get up
really early, 6 or so, and go out. My wife and kids are perfectly capable of
sleeping until 9 or 10, so I had the best part of the day right there.

In April I went on a shooting trip to Canterbury, organised by the Viewfinders
photography club in Brussels. Also on this trip did I bring the family. My wife
would take the train to London and shop all day with our daughter while I and my
son were out with the other club members and our cameras.

So it is possible to combine the two, but it takes a bit of planning.

Nathan

Ted Grant wrote, in part:

> For those of you who think taking your wife and family along is cool,
> kill two birds on one trip,  they can do things while I'm shooting,
> "ABSOLUTELY DON'T!"  As the likelihood of someone getting killed isn't
> going to be the bird, it'll be you feet up and Leica in hand! :-)
>
> It all sounds so nice, "Well dear I'll be out shooting most of the day
> and get back early, spend  time with you and the kids."   Yeah right!
> Great! and any of you folks believing that's the way it is, you haven't
> lived through any experience like this.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland