Subject: [Leica] 24mm, 75mm
From: "Barry Dinan" <hawkeyecreative@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 11:25:08 IST

re: I'm looking forward to getting the 24mm, and I'll also be ordering the
new
90mm f2 APO, which I have chosen instead of the 75mm. I'd be interested in
your experience of the 75mm.

Hi Matt,
You will enjoy the 24mm.  Parallax! with this lens can be severe as my
previous experience shows.  This lens is super - or should I say my
photographs taken with this lens are super.  I recently did an enlargement
to nine feet by five feet (cropped too) from a slide shot with this lens,
and detail was good.
I'm just thinking now that the 24mm viewfinder is removable so can be
removed and placed at exactly the same point that the lens will be at - for
tripod use.
I use the viewfinder on it's own to scope scenes before setting my
tripod/camera in place.  It's handy for pre-shoot decisions, just walk about
with it up to my eye until I reach the right spot.
The 75mm Summilux f1.4 is also super.  Even with the lens hood extended it
does not enter the 75mm frame in the viewfinder.  Used with the M6 ttl the
camera is nicely balanced.  I read somewhere that the focus ring can be
heavy but mine focuses very easily.  Quality goes without saying even at
f1.4
I had been using Canon Eos 85mm f1.4 and the Summilux beats it by miles.
Cheers,
Barry Dinan