Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] M-multicoating
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:54:57 -0700

Some outlandish claims are being made by some on this list regarding
multicoating.
I have no doubt that Leica and other companies  were experimenting with
multicoating earlier than the 70s.
However, schlepping on coating on top of coating does not constitute
"multicoating". True multiple coating, the version ultimately worthy of
being called multicoating did not appear until the early 70s.

Following is a quote from a recent post by Marc Small to the Hasselblad
list:

<<snip>>
"the earliest use I can determine of multi-coating was
on Zeiss technical and scientific gear around 1970, probably on a
field-test basis.  Both Zeiss and Asahi began to coat camera lenses in '73,
and arguments have persisted to this day as to which of them was "first",
though I suspect Asahi beat Zeiss by several months;  certainly, their
advertising was superior!  We have evidence of multi-coated, but unmarked,
Planar lenses on 2.8F's and 3.5F's from the mid-'70's".
<<snip>>

Therefore my question is: If Zeiss, the formost authority on optical
science, did not produce multicoated lenses until the early-mid 70s how
could anyone else?

Joseph