Subject: Re: [Leica] 24mm, 75mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:09:27 -0700

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Of course all eyes are on the N1!
> > Could cause a glut in the market for the non AF stuff.
>
> I thought about that, but I definitely do NOT want auto-focus.  I have no
> problem focusing where I want...  The nice thing about the Aria is it has a
> VERY manual mode with a shutter speed dial....just like the M6 (I had to
> mention Leica in here somewhere), and I plan on using it for macro
> work...which the M6 isn't really very good at...
>
> If the R8 was smaller, I would have bought it in a heart beat...but
> compared to the Aria, it's a beast...

about the same size as the  AX Contax with the AF filmplane.
the RTS makes for a better comparison to the R8, both are flagship cameras:

"The professional camera with incomparable features including a vacuum back,
rigid lens mount and auto exposure system that combine to bring forth the power
of Carl Zeiss T* lenses. TTL flash metering with a virtual 100% viewfinder,
multiple exposure capability, auto bracketing and much more are incorporated in
the flagship camera."
http://www.contaxcameras.com/

Markwr

looks like they haven't had time to change thier copy on the AX:

"Many photographers hold the concept that CONTAX cameras should be manual focus.
This notion may derive from the desire that the Carl Zeiss T* lenses remain
unchanged. But the tide of auto focus is strong and CONTAX could no longer
remain without an AF SLR. ENGINEERS REJECTED THE IDEA EARLY THAT THE CARL ZEISS
T* LENS COULD BE ADAPTED TO PERFORM AUTO FOCUS. AS A RESULT OUR RESEARCH AND
DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERS HAVE BEEN WORKING TO FIND A SOLUTION THAT PROVIDES AUTO
FOCUS WITHOUT CHANGING THE CARL ZEISS T* LENS. Their solution, as expected, is elegant..."

caps were mine

Mark William Rabiner