Subject: Re: [Leica] RapidGrip/RapidWinder combo! :-)
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:35:25 EDT

In a message dated 8/18/00 3:27:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jcberger@jcberger.com writes:

<< > I just installed one and I can assure you this is a major M handling
 > improvement, Tom A. has scored big once again,  in manufacturing a new
 > TA accessory to improve the handling of your M RapidWinder equipped
 > camera.  Not only that,  it includes a location for spare batteries in
 > the grip handle.  A bonus idea!
 I hope Tom will think to all of us owning pre-M6 bodies and will produce a
 special model without a spare battery location so we can use his grip ;-).
 ---
 Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
 Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE)
 Lyon, France
 http://www.jcberger.com

Jean-Claude, The RapidGrip fits any M with the exception of the M5. On the
bodies with Rapidwinders on them, the top of the grip comes up to the lower
edge of the top-plate, on bodies without  Rapidwinders the top of the
RapidGrip comes up to within a ¼ of an inch below the top of the top-plate.
The RapidGrip is attached with a ¼-20tpi bolt that screws in to the tripod
bushing on either one of the later Rapidwinders or in the regular Leica M
baseplate.
 When I started this design I wanted the Grip to be usable either with or
without the Rapidwinder. The only problem I have encountered using it without
the Rapidwinder is that the knuckles on one finger can obscure the small
rangefinder window and block out the patch. This is something that you
quickly adjust the finger position to and avoid. If you are using a non-M6
you just leave the battery storage empty. The attachment to the camera is by
a separate  bolt from the cover for the battery storage compartment. At the
moment I am using prototype RapidGrips on a M6 with Rapidwinder, on a M2 with
Rapidwinder (this is a one-off as it requires rather radical surgery to
attach and I most likely will not do that on a production basis) and on a M3
without Rapidwinder.
 So far they have proved themselves very habit forming and comfortable to
use. The actual RapidGrip is considerably larger than either the TMP-Grip or
the Leica Handgrip. I feel that with the RapidGrip I provide an alternative
to those who find either of these two too small or too flimsy. If you are
using heavy lenses, 50/1, 75/1,4 and 90/2, the extra hold is very comfortable
and improves handling considerably. It does add about ¼" to the one end of
the baseplate or Rapidwinder, but the bigger "footprint" provided prevents
the camera from tipping forward when put down.
 Next week I am starting the final parts for the RapidGrip, a tool has to be
ground for tapping a hole in the top of the grip for holding Softrelease when
not in use, the bore for the battery chamber will be increased slightly and
the composite "cap" material ordered. The final design of the ¼" bolt that
locks the RapidGrip on to the camera will be done, as well as a slight
modification of the inside base to accommodate a circlip to hold the bolt in
place.
All the best,
Tom A