Subject: Re: [Leica] Portraiture without the blinding flash.
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 23:30:05 EDT

In a message dated 08/21/2000 11:40:50 PM, Mark Rabiner writes:

<< check out this guys stuff:
http://www.lenswork.com/sadams03.htm

Flashbulbs are blinding.
A pop though a mini softbox with a Norman or Lumedyne is barley noticeable
because of the ultrashort duration. I think that is what we are looking at
here
on these shots. >>

Hi Mark,

You are basicaly correct.  In an interview with Shelby Lee Adams in Lenswork
Magazine, he says that he uses strobe because he is working with 4x5 and his
subjects often select where they will be photographed with no thought given
to the quality or quantity of the light.  An interesting point he made was
that he is photographing very hard working people, and he gains a certain
amount of respect when they see him sweating while he wrestles with lights
and cables.  He works alone-no assistant.  It also helps that he was born in
the same area he is working in.  I like his stuff.  Check out his book
Apalachian Legacy.

Richard Wasserman

Replies: Reply from Bill Satterfield <cwsat@cyberhighway.net> (Re: [Leica] Portraiture without the blinding flash.)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Portraiture without the blinding flash.)