Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 or Summicron-R 50mm f/2?
From: Pascal <cyberdog@tijd.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:05:46 +0200

On 22-08-2000 09:34 Terry Sham wrote:

>The different between f/1.4 and f/2 is not important for me. But, which one
>have better optical quality?

The one million dollar question ;-)

My experience is limited to the current version of both Summicron-R
50/2.0 and Summilux-R 50/1.4 (E60).

For all practical purposes, I do not detect a difference in output
quality. The new Summilux is an outstanding lens and an improvement on
the older E55 version which was a bit lacking in the image field compared
to the center.
I would consider the current Summilux every much the equal of the
Summicron, plus an additional f/1.4 stop of course.

Both lenses are top quality.

The choice between the two of them has to be based on your photographic
needs (do you need the extra f/1.4 stop?) and your budget (the Summilux
is more than double the price of the Summicron). Of course, the Summilux
is a little bigger and has some more weight, but that is still very
reasonable compared to the Summicron. Also, consider the fact that a lens
with a max stop of 1.4 will give you a brighter viewfinder which makes it
easier to focus precisely.

Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong.

Pascal
no archive

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace
Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !