Subject: RE: [Leica] R8 Question - NOT
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:01:43 -0400

 Doug Herr Wrote In Response to Steve LeHuray's Nikon defense....

"You obviously don't have functional meter heads on your F bodies.  You also
> don't have one of the early F2 bodies (or, it was repaired before you
> bought it).  I don't know what Nikkors you're using or what you're doing
> with your photos but in my experience and for my uses of the photos the
> difference in optics is not marginal.

I have neither the knowledge nor the masochistic streak necessary to get
into the current R debate - although I will say that I do not like the feel
of the R8 - but as to Nikon Fs -

Mine is a 1972 F that I purchased used, and have CLA'd once. It's suitable
for either photography under any conditions or for hammering nails, which
ever you need to do on any given day....As to the meter question - way back
when I had an FTn with no problems, but one of the nice things about the
meter on the F was you could always push the button, dump it in a trash can,
and either replace it with a standard prism or a metered prism and keep
going - oh, or perhaps a waist level prism, or a sports finder, or.........

My main reflex now is the F100, which, so far - knock on silicon! - is
trouble free, but I sure like having that F body in my bag...

B. D.