Subject: [Leica] Leica/Minolta
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:25:55 -0400

Luggers,
    As the owner of two Leica/Minolta lenses, the 16mm f/2.8 Fish-Eye
Elmarit-R and the original 80mm-200mm f/4.5 Vario-Elmar-R, I are testify,
they are both EXCELLENT performers by Leica standards. I have seen mural
sized prints from my 80mm-200mm zoom, which are astounding!
    On a visit to Wetzlar many years ago, I noticed what looked like a
pallet load of Minolta 80mm-200mm zoom lenses. I asked someone when these
would be released by Leica then Leitz. I was told those lenses were to be
RETURNED to Minolta. They were optically unsatisfactory.
    They told me the rejection rate was about 80%, that's right 80%.
    The remaining twenty percent were basically rebuilt by Leitz to their
standards. The diaphragm mechanisms were replace completely. and the
focusing mount were either changed or modified to accept ball bearings. This
doesn't include the R-mount and camming systems.
    As for "Why Minolta?" I suggest reading Emil Keller's books about  E.
Leitz GmbH. He has a chapter devoted to the Leitz/Minolta cooperation.
Happy Snapping,

Sal