Subject: Re: [Leica] Why Minolta?
From: "Bob Stack" <ticino@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:52:05 -0500

Hi Dan.  My experience with these types of simple comparisons is that the
results one sees are very likely to reflect the impact of a number of
variables other than the quality of the lens in question.  When I compared
my Nikon to my Leica M and R systems a few years ago, I found the results
were very sensitive to the type and speed of film being used, how the slides
were projected (Leica vs. other), how the film was developed and by whom,
how the prints were made and by whom, etc.  The conclusion I reached was
that the faster or more contrasty the film, and the more "commercial" the
process used to develop/project/print the final result, the less I could
differentiate the results between my Leicas and my Nikon.  However, when
using Leica projectors, or printing with a V35, doing my own development and
print work, etc., using APX 25 and 100 film, etc., the difference to my eye
was dramatic.  The Nikons were sold.  Just another happy Lugger working away
with an R-8 and an M-6.  Best regards, Bob.

Message from Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de> (Re: [Leica] Why Minolta?)
Message from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Why Minolta?)
Message from Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net> (Re: [Leica] Why Minolta?)