Subject: Re: [Leica] b.d.'s planning something dangerous!
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:21:49 +1000

Hi BD. You wrote

> No such problem with the Contax G 1 I owned, or with Leica M2s or M3s I
> owned in the past. Face it - it's an anoying flaw in a wonderful camera.
> Solms doesn't benefit, nor do Leica owners, from having people rationalize
> the camera's flaws, rather than acknowledging them and calling for their
> correction...

What I need to do is get my hands on one of these M2 or 3 things that I
keep reading about.  Then maybe I'll see the light about this flare
business and understand where your coming from.  Sure, I'd prefer that
my M6's didn't flare at all.  At times I've found it to be a pain, when
taking portraits against the light with me and camera in the sun - need
to get a bystander to hold a large plastic box lid between the sun and
me for a bit of shade, and I make sure they're shading the picture
taking lens too!  Put 'em to work, I say.  But if my viewfinder is
flaring out, then that's the signal from Solms that I need to be wary of
lens flare!  See, they got it right again!

Also, do try to spot the jest in my shameless support for everything the
elves in Solms do.  Trust me, I've had more trouble with the gear than
anyone here has spoken about, I just take it up with Leica (and Metz and
Nikon) directly (and strongly).  The most reliable bit of gear I have is
my Manfrotto tripod. Which is a good thing - I'd hate for it to fail.

It's a beautiful world, it's a short life, let's enjoy the sunshine and
deal with the cloudy bits as best we can.

Regards

Rick Dykstra