Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey card
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:35:53 -0700

Erwin Puts wrote:

> The grey card reflects 18% and indeed, most natural scenes reflect 13%,
> which should be common knowledge as the relevant study dates from 15 years
> ago. I noted this a long time ago, when I discussed the relative merits of a
> grey card. If you read the instruction leaflet of the Kodak greycard they
> will tell you that the grey card is designed and optimised for studio
> lighting and contrast and there the 18% reflection is experimentally the
> best compromise. Kodak incidentally notes that when using the grey card
> outdoors to increase exposure by a half stop to compensate for the 13%!!!
>
> Erwin

Does this mean zone V and grey cards are not one and the same?
A cyclic thread but continually confusing none the less.
For me the way I work and think now a grey card is an ambient reading.
But when I do a reflective reading I'm thinking where that object is wanted on
the scale: darker or lighter than middle grey, or zone V, or needle in the
middle or…
Markwr