Subject: Re: [Leica] Osterloh's new R book
From: Fred Hess <fredhess@wxs.nl>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:49:23 +0200

Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de schreef:

> Yesterday at the bookshop a browsed through Günther Osterloh's new R
> book (in German). It now covers the R8, the new zoom and apo lenses. I
> already own older issues on M and R.
>
> Whilst older R bodies are still covered, the paragraphs on dicountinued
> lenses have been deleted. This is really bad, because a budget minded
> photographer may still want to read about them. On the other hand many
> illustrations from the mid/early 1970s are still in, with contemporary
> dress and hairstyle of course, showing how to hold the camera etc.! It
> does not affect the content, but it certainly does no good to the image
> of current Leica gear. The same goes for the really poor quality of the
> these illustrations which apparently were scanned from older issues
> where they look much better, indeed.
>
> Günther Osterlohs' books on R and M continue the tradition of Theodor
> Kisselbach' s classic "Leica Handbook" and, in addition to the '"manual
> and equipment" section represent a comprehensive introduction to
> photography. But as the director of the "Leica Akademie", and thus
> company employee, his statements are not very critical. His descriptions
> of the lenses' performance read like offical press releases The wording
> seems to be identical with the small manuals that are supplied with the
> lenses and to some extend with brochures. They are very honest, but you
> have to read carefully in between the lines like in a travel agency's
> catalogue. My, older, M book for instance has a chapter on the pre-asph
> Summilux-M 1,4/35 and a loose page on the newer, current Summilux-M
> 1,4/35. The write-up on the pre-asph remains totally silent about the
> well known short-falls of this lens which I indeed own, like and use a
> lot (if not the most). On the other hand the insert on the asph mentions
> the lack of flare and coma wide open. The reader can make his own
> conclusions from that, but it certainly is not as it should be.
>
> It is the most "official" book available on the subject and thus should
> have first hand info on equipment operations and specs. Some buyers will
> certainly prefer a more independent point of view and a less
> conservative attitude towards third party accessories and "creative use
> of gear (eg. stacking or combining adapters). As a marketing tool and
> expanded product brochure, however, it failed, coming years too late and
> - hopefully - will be outdated again after photokina..
>
> Hans-Peter

Hi, Hans-Peter,

Is the printing-quality of your copie as poor as mine?
Some pictures are very grey and dull. For instance pages:
54,116,164/165,235 etc.
The picture on page 63 # 50 is up side down.
Where stayed  the good old quality of Umschau Verlag??
I have sent my copy back to my bookseller (Lindemann's in Stuttgart, BRD)
and they tried to find a good one for me.
But all the copies they had, were poor in printing. It is a pity!!!!!!!!

Kind regards,

- --

Fred Hess

Den Haag NL