Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone V and greycard
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:36:54 -0700

I understood that! You're doing better, Erwin!
The Gray card measured reflective density is about R=.80 G=.80 and B=.80,
and when I worked in a photolab, that was the gray we attempted to match on
the morning test print.... but when all corrections were figured in, the
gray card in the test scene usually measure about .72 reflective density!
When it matched that- everything else fell into place!
Even in a one hour lab- I was able to 'match' print and reprints ( for
really picky customers! and pretty girls!) by measureing the original-
usually a white area of clothing or a flesh tone- the making a test print
and measuring the same areas of the test print- by comparing the relative
densities, it was easy to calculate the necessary corrections, and I became
quite good at it! Not bad for a one hour lab !
The arrangement and target tones can be targeted the same way in B&W and
using a densitomet- or even an enlarging meter to read the realtive density
of the negative! I photograph a test target that has a plain white matte
board, a black matte board, and a grey card- all 8x10 and mounted on a 16x20
matte board.
Measuring the negatives, taken at different EI, I find the one that has
about a .70 transmission density- above base fog, and it gives me a good
indicator of what I need to shoot the film at. When I want to find out if my
development is too vigorous or not, I use the indicated EI and shoot a roll
of film, divide it into several small pieces and develop at different times-
I then measure the density difference between the white card image and the
black card image, which gives me a density range- I pick the time that gives
me the best range printable on 2 1/2 grade paper. The gray card is very
useful for all sorts of things!
Dan