Subject: Re: [Leica] "B Grade" -- Not Really - de Milo Speaks of Ferdinand
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:36:23 +1000

MGMcGough@aol.com wrote:

>    Several years ago,  there was a LUGnut from the Philippines who
>    was shopping for a M6 & asked the LUG dozens of questions on
>    where was the best place to buy as there were no Leica dealers
>    in Cebu.  The consensus of LUG advice to  (I think his name was
>    Ferdinand) was to not buy in Singapore, but he did anyway despite
>    the advice.  His first M6 had to be returned due to a faulty plastic
>    frame counter gear which happened on his 2nd roll of film back in
>    Cebu.  He had to travel back to Singapore to get a replacemant and
>    this too was faulty.
>
>    If he had bought it mail order from Don Chatterton or Jim Kuehl, as
>    he was advised to, chances are that he would have gotten a perfect
>    M6 the first time.  Some of the LUGgers then maintained that all of
>    the refurbished Leicas ARE sent to out of the way places because
>    they hope to get less complaints that way, but I think that a check of
>    the archives will show that there was just poor QC at Solms at that
>    time - just as there are everywhere in this plastic age. > Mary Grace<
>
>  rdandcb@cybermac.com.au writes:
> >
> >  If I was a manufacturer of products with a reputation for (or a
> >  marketing angle for) the highest quality, I would send the stuff that
> >  wasn't quite perfect in some way to the furthest part of the globe, from
> >  where a warranty claim would be a time consuming issue.  Like Australia.
> >   Or to a place where consumers might not be as fussy as in (say) the US
> >  or Japan.  Like Australia.

You guys can't really seriously believe, that any, and I mean any, reputable
manufacturer of any type of goods, not only cameras, will send an inferior or
second grade item  knowingly to places. Especially out of way places. Can you
imagine, Porsche, or Rolls Roys or Leica to send cars  or camera equipment,
which did not pass inspection to any place, no matter how far away.
This days especially where world communications are instant, no manufacturer
worth his salt can afford to send rubbish to any place. Word would spread
instantly around the globe.