Subject: [Leica] HCB's inspirational drivel
From: "Robert Appleby" <laintal@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 06:43:12 GMT

"The slow speed of colour film reduces the depth of focus in the field of
>vision in relatively close shots; and this cramping often makes for dull
>composition. On top of that, blurred backgrounds in color photographs are
>distinctly displeasing".

For myself, I find the out-of-focus main subjects in so many of the great
man's pictures distinctly displeasing. He would have shot f64 if he could,
critical focus never seemed to occupy his mind too much. As for his
hostility to colour...! On the other hand I doubt I could tell the
difference between the varieties of bokeh, the sharp parts of the picture
are what interest me most.
After using the new aspherics for a while I really appreciate the difference
between critical focus and zone focus - not the same thing at all. Of
course, I could be wrong. Tell me I am.
Rob.