Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh Nokeh
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:08:43 +0800

on 27/8/00 4:32 AM, Mikiro at arbos@silva.net wrote:

> The authour says that lens characters are just like those of paints,
> brushes, and canvas for painters (Painters do select their equipment
> depending on their aims).

Hi Mikiro

That sounds like an interesting book - one hopes it is well illustrated.

Despite my earlier disparaging remarks I am intrigued by these
characteristics in different lenses: I just do not think it is practical to
carry a 'palette' of similar spec lenses around in order to get the optimum
match for each picture situation even if one were fully acquainted with the
exact rendition they will provide. The interest is therefore on the
theoretical level rather than having anything to do with actual photography.

It is practical to get to know the equipment you have at hand but that is
more likely to happen from intensive and constant use rather than reading
articles, even by such experienced fellows as you refer to. I am amused by
all the instant experts on bokeh: until the subject was introduced to the
English speaking photo world (by Mr Mike Johnston I believe) no one had ever
to my knowledge remarked on the unpleasant nature of their (usually cheaper)
lens's rendition of the out of focus areas. Of a sudden there seemed to be a
legitimate excuse to fork out for that expensive Leica lens...

I try very hard not to let this interest get in the way of my photography
but I suppose participating in such lists as this is an admission of partial
defeat! I should be out even now taking pictures...

Bests from Beijing (where the locals have no problem with the word
'Oriental' - for themselves, for buildings, TV stations etc etc)

Adrian

- --
Adrian Bradshaw
Corporate and Editorial Photography
Beijing, China
tel/fax +86 10 6532 5112
mobile +86 139 108 22292
e-mail apbbeijing@yahoo.com
OR adrianpeterbradshaw@compuserve.com

website:   http://www.apbphoto.com

Please note my new mobile number (as of August 1st)