Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: "Lin, Weifu" <wflin@tp.silkera.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 15:21:34 +0800

apbbeijing wroteˇG

> Hi Weifu - glad that little mystery was cleared up! I find these Japanese
> magazines quite intriguing for the variety and intensity of the lens tests.
> I note that there are lots of diagrams and charts but very few photos
> usually (more than Pop Photo of course though). They do seem far more
> thorough than any of the western magazines I have seen.
>
> OTOH there are whole magazines which show a single example each from dozens
> of lenses and these are sometimes interesting as far as they go: I bought
> one which shows photos from just about every M and screw fit lens and it is
> fun.
>
> I am still convinced bokeh is too non-scientific to be of value: some of the
> recent discussion on the LUG seems to illustrate this. For example Henri
> Cartier Bresson's remarks referred to blurred backgrounds due to limited
> depth of field from lenses used with wider apertures and said nothing about
> the characteristics of this background beyond blurriness. Certainly nothing
> comparing similar spec lenses image characteristics.
>
> Nukeh sounds like another vague and general term which evades quantifying -
> unless they have some system which seems improbable to me...
>
> Bests
>
> Adrian

Hi Adrain

I am sorry that the wrong spelling of nukeh could cause such a flame
on the lug.
According to Mikiro san, both terms (bokeh and nukeh) are common
Japanese that a audience will use them to describe the characters
of an image. It could be a different perspective between western
and eastern on photography, IMHO.

Japanese photographic publishing such as magazines, books, and mooks
(magazine books) are, maybe, the most considerable quantities all
over the world. Some of them are not technical oriented, but they
provide the first hand information very well. If I would like to
search for technical and test reports, I probably choose COLOR FOTO
instead.

These Japanese magazines also publish hundreds of photos, which were
submitted by the readers every month. That monthly contest shows
some very interested point of view of photography. That is also very
rare in the western magazines I have read.

Personally I don't convince there were any parameter to measure
bokeh or nukeh either. I just don't know it.
Maybe some one can inform us of the latest information.

Best Regards,

Weifu