Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: "Mark Rutledge" <markrut@ticnet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:07:37 -0500

<snip>
...: what
matters is making a choice and getting to know what you use well and not
obsessing over the details of some Holy Grail of technical minutiae at the
expense of actual image making.

I know this is in reference to bokeh, but it seems that this is equally
applicable to all other aspects of a lens. Man, if we took this advice what
we argue endlessly about!?;)
As far as bokeh goes, I don't think anyone will carry around a bevy of
lenses for different bokeh effects. I do however think that it can be a
determining factor in what lenses to buy all other factors being equal. Lets
face it there are some very good lenses in the sharpness department out
there from many manufacturers, how they render the oof areas could tip the
balance.
 No, bokeh will not make a poor photo a great photo, but in most of the
memorable photographs that come to mind, neither will lens maker, mtf
charts,camera brand etc.
 Maybe bokeh has more to do with the "art" aspect of photography rather than
the technical side. Emotion vs quantifiability. Images (painting, photos..)
can move us in a way we cannot describe...beauty isn't measurable. Just a
guess!

Mark Rutledge

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh)