Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:13:15 -0600

I agree that bokeh is not important enough for me to carry several lenses
for their different renderings. However, it is very important in evaluating
a new lens. When I started in photography if I needed a lens of a certain
focal length, I just bought one. Later I would find myself unconsciously
avoiding certain lenses. It was not until I read that infamous Photo
Techniques article that I finally understood why I loved my Leica 50 but
seldom used my Nikon one. It is amazing how often I will not like a
particular photo because of harsh out of focus areas. I may admire the
technique and artistic skill but find myself unable to look at the photo for
very long. This happens most often in advertising work rather than art
photography. Some have complained that HCB's most famous photos are not very
sharp. I see many photos that I wish I had HCB's speed and technique to even
get a fuzzy picture of! For me sharpness is not as important as a lack of
harshness.

John Collier