Subject: Re: [Leica] Bokeh vs. Nukeh
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:23:59 +0800

on 28/8/00 11:19 PM, Krechtz@aol.com at Krechtz@aol.com wrote:

> No one, however,
> legitimately may deny the existence of phenomena which are clearly evident to
> and of importance to another.

I do not deny the existence of bokeh but it is ill-defined and unmeasured
and as such a cause of confusion and distraction as a term. Where for
example is the distinction between 'normal' blur for any lens at a specific
setting and situation and 'nice bokeh' blur?

Many people seem to be convinced that bokeh is either good or bad and thus
lives or dies the utility of any given lens in their minds: my contention is
that most of the time it is not an issue and when it is you learn to use the
tools you have as best as you and they can adapt to a given situation rather
than yearning for some alternative. In the absence of any meanignful data
the best approach is, as you did with your Hexar, try it and if it works
stick with it.

With bokeh like my single malts, I enjoy a variety and find attempts to
analyse it scientifically and creatively amusing but no substitute for
drinking the stuff. Likewise lenses are made to be used and well if you
don't like it change it: my objection is that many people pick up on the
good or bad reputation of a particular lens's bokeh without either
understanding what it is nor learning to discern for themselves. That is
where jargon and unmeasured terms are counterproductive. A bit like awarding
whiskies a percentage rating: looks scientific, helps sell magazines, makes
the writer look oh so brainy and expert, affects sales but doesn't have a
whit to do with enjoying the product.

There are by the way extensive works of research documenting the many
components of red wine and whisky and these are in no way pseudo-technical.
Such research may influence the above average quaffer but just as too much
vagueness is not helpful nor is too much detail for me nor for most people.

Leica makes a variety of lenses in many focal lengths and whilst different
bokehs are available for say 50mm lenses it seems to me to be a pretty
secondary motivation for buying one over another and I am also not convinced
it is anything but coincidental to the design process. Like Ted I am much
more interested in getting the subject in sharp focus and the aperture ring
offers a tremendous amount of control over the appearance of the out of
focus areas, as do your feet, choices in lighting, focal length and so on.
Beyond that seems overkill and obsessive IMHO but to each their own.

As I have said before it seems for the most part that those who obsess over
bokeh never noticed the 'problem' in the past but seem particularly
concerned about it now it is pointed out.

Bests

Adrian