Subject: RE: [Leica] kyle's lost his @#$@#$! mind - week 35
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 07:52:21 -0700

Comments and then I become silent on this picture subject....

Living or loving a deeply disturbed person gives a different perspective
than the casual observer.  I am biased.

What so you think self mutilation is, a @#$@#$! Hobby?  The response below
is both flippant and shows the misunderstanding that goes with psychological
disease.  If you do not understand what it is you are photographing with
mental illness, stay away.

I absolutely can not tolerate the photographers/artiste's approach of saying
that he is only documenting the world.  If you are a photographer, you are
exercising your moral obligation to say something about or for your subject.
Do you really mean ... I don;t give a damn about your condition, I just am
here to document your eventual death and get an A on my report card ( or
make my next week's salary)?  Please hurry, cut deeper, the term ( paper
deadline) is coming up soon.......

Kyle... I did like the documentation mode you operated in.  I even liked the
poses and lighting.  I am admittedly too close to the young girl's situation
to accept your pictures.  Pick another topic for your photography.  Show
love/compassion for the girl by allowing her psychological caretakers to
take charge of her care.  Stop interfering.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Right on. I have had a number of female friends who cut themselves. They
were all mature intelligent people (twentysomething graduates) who were
quite capable of making decisions for themselves. It must be a relief to
have someone like Kyle around who doesn't react with horror and hushed
voices to what is a non-life-threatening form of self injury.