Subject: [Leica] OT, magazine quality
From: AppleMac97@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:04:59 EDT

<<From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] OT, magazine quality
One of the very best photography magazines I know of is published in Taiwan
and though I do not have a copy to hand I think it is just called
"Photographers" or such like: large format mostly black and white in Chinese
and English. Hugely expensive though: about $25 an issue but worth it.
Bests
Adrian>>

Adrian:

The magazine is called PHOTOGRAPHERS INTERNATIONAL  and is published in
Taiwan by Juan I-Jong.  It is printed on heavy paper and the quality of the
B&W and color photos is excellent.  One of the Borders bookstores in the
Chicago area will sometimes stock it, and it costs $18 per issue.  I have
often wondered how they have managed to stay in business!  Most people have
never heard of it, and it cannot be found in most bookstores.  I have a bunch
of back issues.  Personally I think that it is often better than APERTURE,
and I have been a subscriber to that for a long time.  Some years ago, PI had
separate issues devoted to British, Czech, and Lithuanian photography.
Coincidentally, Aperture had a special issue devoted to Czech photography at
about the same time.  The photographers profiled in PI were much better.
Some of the  themes  recently covered in Aperture are just silly!  Aperture
seems to publish a lot of blurry and out of focus photos that supposedly
represent the ART of Photography. :-)  No flames please!  I am just kidding!

Muhammad Chishty

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] OT, magazine quality)