Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Re: Bokeh vs. Nukeh, WYSIWYG
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 17:04:15 -0400

> > I'd really be curious as to how many SLR users on this list actually
use
> > the DOF preview???

> I do.  I find it very valuable for evaluating the degree to which areas
outside > the plane of focus, both foreground and background, will
influence the overall > look of the photo.  It's particularly useful with
long lenses and macro > subjects, where out-of-focus elements may appear as
a wash of color or as > an identifiable although out-of-focus object.  If
I'm stopping down for DOF and > I don't want some extremely out-of-focus
thing to become identifiable the > DOF preview is quite handy, to say the
least.

And you can't figure that out by the f-stop you are at, and looking at the
DOF scale on your lense?  Sure it has some use, but how do you determine
'in focus' on the darkened fringe of the viewfinder of a 35mm camera?  As
you say, you can probably gauge whether it's 'identifiable' or not...but
certainly not sharp focus...

Replies: Reply from George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca> ([Leica] RE: Re: Re: Bokeh vs. Nukeh, WYSIWYG)