Subject: Re: [Leica] Righteous indignation
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:36:46 EDT

In a message dated 8/30/00 12:45:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
pjstamos@hotmail.com writes:

<< Despite the fact that the causal chain leading to the latter's
 subjects may be more circuitous, only a mad few would presume to have told
 Bacon what and whom to depict. Counterexamples abound perhaps, but at the
 risk of conflating whether a work is successful with its right to exist. >>

I'm no historian, but the thought raises its ugly head that various monarchs,
the Church of England, Oliver Cromwell, numerous private patrons and the
public have at various times in British history constituted some of those
unenlightened arbiters of propriety, morality and, alas, aesthetics.  I'm not
saying they were right, you understand...

Joe Sobel