Subject: [Leica] Leica on the cheap
From: "Michael Darnton" <mdarnton@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:27:03 GMT

Ken Lai wrote:

>I have the 24mm lens and
>finder already but is thinking of getting the 21 as well but (i) I do
not
>want to spend 300 dollars on another finder and (ii) I don't want to
keep. . . .

I've seen this question repeatedly on this list in some form or another (can
I use my M3 window to see the 35mm field, etc. . . ) I completely fail to
understand in every single one of these cases why someone would put a two
thousand dollar piece of glass in front of a two thousand dollar box and
then cheap out on a device to figure out where the edges of the image are.
If people are so intent on saving money, a Nikon F body will show you 100%
of the frame for a cost less than a single Leica finder, and you can buy a
whole set of lenses for it for less than a Leica 21mm lens. I don't even
understand it when it's a $300 Summaron on a beat-up M-3 and you can pick up
a rudimentary finder for another $70. I couldn't live that way--I won't buy
a lens until I can afford a finder for it, two caps, a hood, and a UV filter
to protect my investment.

- --Michael