Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: The art of the blanket cake eating statement ...
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:51:37 +0100

>A Leica USA rep who has asked for anonymity has assured me that the new M6
>.58 to be introduced at Photokina will be equipped with depth-of-field
>preview.  This will be accomplished by the insertion of a diaphragm in the
>viewfinder which is coupled to the lens diaphragm via a sensor located in
>the body next to the meter cell.  However, they have had to eliminate the
>frame-line preview mechanism to make room for this new feature.
>
>	Buzz Hausner

hey buzz,

my leica rep confirmed your story, but added that the new .58 m will also
allow you to make toast. here's how it works:

there'll be a slot in the baseplate wide enough to accomodate a thin slice
of bread. holding the camera upside down (like when you change film -
there'll be a little diagram to show how to do it), you insert the slice of
bread into the slot. now, here's the beauty of leica ingeniuty: you use the
new dof preview lever to lower the bread into the camera! lightly depress
the shutter release - this activates the led's deep within the camera body
and it's those little lights - god bless 'em! - that create the necessary
heat to grill the bread! for the doubting thomases among you: you will in
fact be able to control the darkness of the toast, the leica engineers have
worked it out: just like setting the camera for correct exposure, you use a
shutter speed/aperture combination to have lightly grilled toast
(equivalent to underexposing), dark toast (equivalent to overexposing) and
properly grilled toast (correct exposure). when the toast is done, it pops
up through the slot, and flipping the camera back over, you're ready to
shoot again, and you've had a quick snack!!! let's see n**** and c**** top
that!

guy