Subject: [Leica] OT: Nachtwey (was Personal portfolios of ...
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 08:15:02 -0700

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Like George, I'm a true believer in "concerned photograpy." At its best it is
> deeply humanizing. My complaint with regard to Nachtwey is that his
> particular brand of photo is just the opposite-- profoundly dehumanizing.<<<<<<<<<<<<<  SNIP
good, close look and admit that there's nothing you or anyone else can
do about it." <<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Arthur,
But if that is the message you get from his work, isn't it possible
Natchwey gives a truer message than other photographers?

I mean, if the atrocities of the world  with the coverage given each
were to never happen again due to the incredible photography published,
that would mean "photography has accomplished something."

However, greed and power lust never ends in the human species and the
atrocities continue, so in his way, Nachtwey's images do just what you
say they convey, "This is how it is. Take a good, close look and admit
that there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it."

Is it not reasonable to think given wars continue,  that after being
witness to the Ethiopia's, Somalia's, Kosovo's, Central America and all
the other places of political up heaval, that Nachtwey has a much truer
feeling for the hopelessness of it all?

Yep I've had a few gut clutching assignments where you wanted to take
all the kids home, feed them, give them warmth and comfort.   But in
reality even if one did, the next week or year would be the same thing
all over again and you could go into the files pull out the same images
without leaving the warmth of your home.

The message would be the same........... "Starving and death!"

Nachtwey's message isn't so far from the truth every time he sticks a
photo in the face of the world  "how one human being treats another, so
live with it!"  And I would much rather that the horror message from all
the photographers ended the human suffering, rather than me say, "I'm
with Nachtwey on this message that you feel his work conveys."
ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant