Subject: [Leica] Re: Meaning of Angulon, Summicron, Summaron, Summitar, Summarex?
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 11:00:01 -0400

William:

The various names once corresponded (roughly) to optical formulas. The Sum-
beginning was a reference to "the best" or "ultimate quality."

The names have evolved over the years to refer to maximum apertures. ie-
Summilux - f1.4, Summicron - f2, Elmarit - f3.5-4, Elmar -f4 .

Telyt is used for the longer telephotos.

Ken WIlcox

- ----
					  preferred---> <wilcox@tir.com>
 		      			  <kwilcox@gfn.org>