Subject: Re: [Leica] Which eye(s) do you use?
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 11:19:14 +1000

Paul Fjelstad wrote:

> This is really basic, about the most basic technique question I can imagine:
> Which eye(s) do you employ when you use your M?

Hi Paul.

I'm a left eye shooter, for the reasons you mentioned - so that I can
look through the viewfinder without closing the right eye, it being
blocked by the back of the camera.

If I try using the right eye, I have the problem of two differently
magnified images, ie, normal and 0.72 or 0.85 (with M's).  I am
shortsighted and since I bought a diopter correction lens I've noticed
its much easier to shoot right eyed.  The reason is that with glasses
off, the eye looking throug the viewfinder gets a clear image while the
uncorrected eye still has a blurry image.  The brain selects the clear
image and thus it is easy to shoot right eyed.  And one still gets the
advantage of the 'eye out in the open' perspective of what's going on
(albeit a bit blurry).

I have a question also, for left eye shooters using chrome bodies.  Does
the reflectiveness of the chrome top cause a problem to an open right
eye, versus a black body with its low reflection?

Regards

Rick Dykstra