Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V17 #377german lenses vs non-german films
From: "Gerard J. van den Broek" <broekco@hetnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 19:44:47 +0200

Hi Terry,

I feel responsible for bringing up the subject, in my reaction to Mark's
question about a good film/developer combination, and I just refered to
35 years of experience. My remark about German lenses, German films,
German film developer and (what I did not mention) German photographic
paper (also Agfa), has not so much to do with sharpness but with
contrast, greyscale, 'color' rendition (note that every color has to
translated in a particular shade of grey, and the tone of the greyes and
the black in the photograph (tonality).

As I was told, it is highly likely, that a German cameralens is tested
making use of German films, chemicals, and paper. It is my exeperience,
after having used dozens of cameras, films and developers, that Leica in
combination with Agfa matarial makes a very, very reliable and, in terms
of results, predictable combination. It same proved to be perfectly true
in IMHO for the Rollei 6x6 (Schneider Xenon) and the Agfa material.

But as a number of other reactions imply: never change a winning team;
often there is much more in the material than we are able to harvest
from it!

Gerard J. van den Broek