Subject: Re: [Leica] It's all about M's
From: Thomas Kachadurian <tom@kachadurian.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:58:18 -0400

Bob:

Perhaps for you the point is manual, but for me it's LENSES.

There is one correct exposure, how you get there makes little
difference to the photograph. I am a photographer, not a disciple.
Regardless of the method I use, or the camera, I am in control of the
photograph. The one thing I cannot control is the what happens to the
light inside the lens, for that I turn to my German friends.

In my view using the M as a field camera is just silly. If I am going
to work slowly on a tripod, I use at least a medium format camera.

Tom

>In a message dated 9/7/00 12:05:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:
>
><< Here's my list of reasons why take the Hexar RF over the Leica M.
>
> 1. better meter
> 2. automatic mode
> 3. motordrive that works
> 4. 1/125 flash sync
> 5. rangefinder than never flares out
> 6. easier loading
> 7. DX coding
>
> That's reason enough for me. My m4-p pines away at home. Sold my M-6.
>
> tom >>
>--------------------------------
>Tom,
>
>I think you miss the point about an M. I can sum it up in one word: Manual.
>The M puts you in control of your photography from the ground up. With the
>Hexar, whether you're aware of it or not, you've opted for a different
>technique. I'm not critical of those among us who want to go the high tech
>way in photography. I'll use an AF camera for certain types of work.
>
>But when it comes to art photography, it's the M. I even use the M as a field
>camera. I compensate for its manual nature by presetting everything on the
>camera. It's only when I'm not thinking fulltime that my thoughts turn to
>automation. But if I'm not thinking fulltime I shouldn't be doing
>photography. By analogy, you don't drive when you/ve had a few drinks.
>
>It's all about M's.
>
>Best,
>Bob

Thomas Kachadurian