Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: LUGPhoto Quotes To Brighten Your Day
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 07:09:42 +0100

Chandos, Guy, Robert, others,

I apologise for writing something in the style of Sontag, in that I didn't
fully communicate myself.

I guess I overblew my reaction to this one line that was promoted. I bought
her book to read, it's just that I failed to understand it enough to enjoy
it. As I put in my tag line, it probably says more about me, but I would
like to have learnt from her as I've learnt from others. I am certainly not
anti-intellectual, I guess I wish I was an intellectual.

In replies I see that you all defend her statement using words other than
'invent' such as 'shaping' or 'interpret'. These are words with which I can
concur, why did she not choose them herself? If she chooses words like
'invent' it then becomes a game of writing riddles for deciphering. Which
takes us back to writing for those who are within the same circle of
understanding as she is.

Let me reapproach her book and see if I can get more out of it this time.
Jem