Subject: [Leica] Red Dot Confusion
From: Shel Belinkoff <belinkoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 07:26:11 -0700

I've been looking at early M6 bodies for my next purchase. During the
search I ran across something that puzzles me.  One "Wetzlar" model
with a serial number of 169**** had a "Leitz" red dot. This is true of
one or two other Wetzlar models that I saw that had lower numbers.
However, I'm looking at one body (via photos) that has a serial number
of 166**** and a "Leica" red dot.

I was always of the impression that the "Leica" dot appeared later,
after the move to Solms.  Why might the 166**** body have a Leica dot
when later Wetzlar bodies had a Leitz dot?  Could  this have been the
result of a repair or later replacement  of  the dot, or is it
possible that the seller is not selling a real Wetzlar body?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!
- --
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:belinkoff@earthlink.net