Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica filter questions
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 22:57:59 -0400

on 11/9/00 9:43 pm, RP Johnson at owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
wrote:

> I am going to break down and purchase a polarizing filter.
>
> 1. Is Leica (or B+W) the ONLY supplier of E60 circular polarizing filters?
>
> 2. Am I correct in assuming that an E60 (or E55) filter is NOT the same
> threading as a 60mm (or 55mm) filter from Hoya, Tiffen, Neopan, or other 3rd
> party manufacturers?
>
> 3. Are there adaptors so that if I have to purchase a Leica filter (for big
> bucks), I can also use it on a smaller filter size lens ( that is, use an
> E60 polarizer plus 60 to 55 adaptor on a lens that requires E55 filters).

I've been there and can answer these questions first-hand! Heliopan is your
knight in shining (but polarised) armour.

Their 60mm filters fit Leica 60mm lenses (in my case 24mm Elmarit and 35-70
f4 Vario-Elmar). The Heliopan 55-60mm step up ring is a quality item that
now lets me use my 60mm filters on my 180/f4 and Macro-Elmarit. 60mm dia
filters may be rare but with Heliopan I have been able to standardise on one
filter size for all my Leica lenses.

Heliopan also do slim-line filter with no front thread - useful if you want
to avoid vignetting on wide angles but not if you want to stack filters (
red and polar for black skies). You have the choice but make sure you
specify which you order.

I've been impressed with the quality of Heliopan filters - brass step up
ring. But the matt finish and grey silk screen lettering is a bit of a let
down alongside a Leica anodised and engrave filter - but they are less than
half the price and available in colours not made by Leica

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com