Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica 'tis of thee
From: Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:00:16 +0200

Robert Appleby wrote:

> Mark, I've often been in situations where I've had to switch between films
> and then forgotten to switch the film speed back. DX coding sounds like a
> good idea to me.

The Problem with DX is that I (and many others) routinely shoot the film
at a different ASA than what the box says. A camera on which I have to
double check and override the automatics everytime I insert a different
roll would annoy me no end. I prefer a direct an manual setting because
it puts the photog in control over the camera and not the other way
round.

> Surely the "philosophy" of the Leica M, to make
> photography more direct

direct control, yes!

> without lots of fiddling with settings, is well served by this feature?

On which camera do you have to fiddle more in the above described
situation? Direct control is the key word. If this requires fiddling I
gladly accept it.

> As for AE, it can always be switched off, can't it?

On better cameras like the Hexar yes. But a lot of cheaper VF/RF cameras
don't offer direct manual settings or even AEL or some kind of override.

> And why would a new
> drive for the M be so appealing while the little motor in the Hexar is the
> devil's work?

The best feature of the M winder is that you can take it off if you
don't need it or silent shooting is obligatory. Try that with an
integrated motor like the Hexar's. Or try to remove a roll from the
camera if the batteries have run out. Have to buy some new batties
first...

Note: I'm not trying to argue that the Hexar is a bad camera. It is in
fact quite good. It is different from a M Leica. It is not better or
worse. Just similar but different enough so that none of them can
replace the other as a better system.

Regards, Axel