Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:Leica Tabletop Tripod
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 06:48:34 -0700

>From: Doug Richardson [mailto:doug@meditor.demon.co.uk]
[snip]

>My experience has been that these work well with old screw-mount
>Leicas, but I've found them tricky to use with heavier cameras such as
>the M or Leicaflex.

Interesting - I've had a very different experience.  When I was still
shooting pro in the late 70's I used a Leica ball-head on top of a Linhof
legset as my studio and location tripod rig.  This normally carried a Hassy
500C with a either an 80 or 150.  The ball is solid as a rock when tightened
down.  I use the ball head either on the Leica or Manfrotto legs.  It has
worked really well with a Nikon F3 and a 180 for shooting hummingbirds.

Some people don't like the fact the there is no friction in the ball head,
that it's either locked or loose. I'm one of those people who prefers it
that way.  No Arca-Swiss friction for this guy.  The Leica TTT rig is one I
will never be without, even if my M spends most of its time in my hand where
it belongs.

Paul