Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: m6 AND hexar rf
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:56:55 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/00 1:48:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jbcollier@home.com writes:

<< The area metered by the MR-4 is the same as the coverage of a 90mm lens but
 the M6 meter, of course, varies with the lens mounted...>>

Thanks for your response.  I should have been clearer on this point.  As I
phrased it, the comparison is indeed oblique.  What I should have said is
that, with a 50mm lens or shorter focal length, the MR reads a smaller and
smaller percentage of the frame area, while the M6 does not.  To me, with
wider angle lenses, this is an advantage in favor of the MR, since I prefer a
"semi-spot" reading.

 <<...If you use 50mm or wider lenses, I am sure the MR-4 meters a smaller
area, but with a longer lens, the MR-4 becomes less useful. The magnification
of the Hexar is 0.58x, and the base is the same as all the M cameras.>>

Also quite true.  This illustrates one of the reasons it is worth using
several different bodies.  I would say, though, that using a 135/4 without an
auxiliary finder can be challenging with the .72 finder of the M6.  As to the
measured RF base,  I assume you are correct.  It is evidently the Cosina
which has the much shorter version, not the Hexar.  By the way, what area
does the Hexar meter cover?

Joe Sobel