Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica table top T'pod and Hexar
From: "Neal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:44:47 -0400

I'll try to kill two birds with one stone here;
First, The Leica table top T'pod is a different beast than a compact Gitzo and is useful when the Gitzo is just too big. For instance I use the Leica T'pod to
photograph wildlife in Africa where most of your shooting is done throught the roof of a Landrover or minivan. The Leica Pod can be rested on the roof of the
vehicle and can be moved rapidly for place to place, not possible with a larger pod. I've found it sturdy enough to support an R5 with a 280 f2.8 with a 2x
converter. I do take a Gitzo travel pod and use it when I can get out of the vehicle and don't have to worry about becoming elephant toe jam or a lion burp.
They are different tools and are used at different times.
Second, On the Hexar thing, I have been a Leica user for 35 years, I have and still do use Leice Screw mounts, M's and R's. I find that for my purposes there is
no better equipment than Leica, however there are times when an auto exposure camera is useful. I use auto exposure R cameras for my wildlife photography. I
find that the speed and ease of the auto lets me concentrate on the game and my focus, (BTW I used to use a Leicaflex SL and an M6 with t Visoflex for
wildlife before getting the R5). When the Hexar came out I got one because I knew there would be times when the auto exposure and auto wind would be
handy. Is the Hexar as well built as my M6? No!, but my M6 isn't as well built as my M3 or my IIIg. Is the Hexar a well made camera? Yes!, as well made as any
Japanese camera and better than most. Do I feel that I have betrayed Leica by buying the Hexar, Hey it's a camera, a tool not a god.
Neal F