Subject: Re: [Leica] quiet cameras in cathedrals?
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:20:29 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/00 8:29:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
locke@straylight.ca writes:

<< While photography of nature and family gatherings are a fine application
of
 photography, true calling is that of a social tool.

 A tool to document the human condition, our cultures and society. A tool of
 EDUCATION!
 To educate is to break down ignorance. >>

While the attitudes of some participants may be genuinely frustrating to
other members, and the history of photography as an influential force for the
public good is both well documented and commendable, education takes many
forms.
There is something to be said for photography as a craft and an art form as
well as a strictly documentary medium.  This dialogue has existed since the
very beginnings of photography, and it will certainly continue.  Meanwhile,
there is room for many divergent views, and I hope to continue to see them
expressed by LUG members.

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> ([Leica] Re: people and sunsets (was: quiet cameras in cathedrals?))