Subject: Re: [Leica] Forbes article on mechanical wristwatches
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 19:34:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/00 12:12:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
4season@boulder.net writes:

<< I'm hoping to share the fine-watch experience too: Years ago, I
 inherited a Rolex from my dad, but it's mostly sat around unused and
 that seems like a real shame, so I'm hunting around for a great shop to
 do the overhaul and polish up the works to gleam like new again. So far
 I've had one recommendation for IWS in Switzerland, and near as I can
 tell, they're competitive if not cheaper than the the local shop (Swiss
 Chalet in Boulder) I visited.

I have had enough interest off line that I think the best thing would be to
post the following information.  If you contact this Rolex factory-recognized
watch mechanic,
feel free to mention this post:

    Sam Kalter
    120 South 7th Street
    Phila., PA 19106
    215-629-1022
    dcorbin@philamuseum.org

He participates in the Rolex factory program for independent watchmakers and
has received training from the Swiss factories, on site.  His experience is
extensive, including complicated watches such as chronographs, moon phase
watches and the like.  Cost is moderate, compared to most other repair
facilities.  Turnaround is presently 4-6 weeks.
Most importantly, in dealing with him over a period of years, I have found
him both informative and straightforward.  He has been quite honest, and I
have bought a  number of watches from Sam, both new and used.
This is not intended as a promotion.  In fact, for fear of overloading his
capacity, I am reluctant to spread the word, if anything.  I called to ask
his permission to do this post.  He does not want to be swamped, but he is
presently taking new work.

Joe Sobel