Subject: Re: [Leica] wristwatches
From: Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 02:09:01 -0400

Howdy
A lot of Swiss watch companies have their watches certified by some some
Swiss time
keeping institute. I'm not sure if the actually send each movement or watch
there for certification or
certify a batch of movements or watches . Omega also has a certified
Seamaster and most other
companies do as well It's usually available as an extra cost option. BTW:
Did you know that not all new
Rolex Submariners are certified! I think most of the NoDate Subs aren't.
Wouldn mind having one anyway.
The dial looks far less cluttered than the Date Sub with certification logo.

The US used to have and may still have a Railroad Certification system. Some
of the old Elgins
Hamiltons, Illinois, I think Bulovas and others had Rail Road Certified
watches. Not sure what
this certification consisted of but it probably had something to do with not
being 5 minutes late and
with engineers pacing themselves through a route so they would arrive at the
station at the very second
they were supposed to. Very impressive for 1912!  If you ever want to get
into  a fascinating bit of Americana,
check out the history of the American watch industry. They made some
absolutely outstanding watches for nearly
200 years.

See Ya
Javier