Subject: Re: [Leica] wristwatches
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:00:05 -0400

Back to basics!
Actually, learning to shoot a position is very good training to learn why
it, and the GPS satelites work- The concept of triangulation is one that
many of us questioned learning in High School, but when you get right down
to it, basic Trig is esential to many parts of our lives- including the
rangefinders on our Leicas!!
I remember reading a Timex watch advertisement years ago- when their first
electrics came out, and they used the testimonial of a gent who sailed the
Atlantic, using only the Timex watch as a chronometer, and sailing from
europe to the US, he was only about 5 miles off his projected landfall.
Perhaps not really accurate in out day of GPS and quartz timing, but "Good
enough for government work" as we used to say.
We are so concerned with 'accuracy' it seems, but I look at the overall
picture (on topic!)
Man has built a pretty marvelous world using everything from knotted string
during the days of the Pharoahs, to the rather recent development of the
once ubiquitous slide rule- just think, we started our space program without
PCs!- and we've done remarkably well.
Of course- now that I am retired, I look at the sun- and figure the time to
within the hour, and that's good enough for me! Now- if I can just get my
brain to get it right in "Roosevelt Time", I'll be okay in the Summer!
Dan (Just about ten am here...I think.... almost lunchtime!) Post