Subject: Re: [Leica] wristwatches
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:26:47 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/00 5:38:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time, htsang@email.com
writes:

<< I'll take a potshot at what makes Rolex falls on its face in the eyes of
watch fanatics like me... the "Oyster Bracelet".  The design is so shoddy
that anybody with an average size wrist cannot even center the clasp at the
bottom of the wrist, even after running out of adjustable links on the near
side.  You've got to own one to understand what I mean.  The clasp itself?
Forget it.  Stamped sheet metal... unacceptable in a $3000+ watch.  You want
to see what the "Oyster Bracelet" should have been like?  Check out the X-71
bracelet of the Blancpain Aqua-Lung.  Now THAT'S engineering.  Pure solidity,
plus you have to remove at least three screws to adjust one link.  Rolex?
One screw comes loose, and your President gets a date with the concrete floor.

 And don't even get me started about the movements...

You're right.  I bought my plain OP at Bucherer in Geneva in 1969, for the
equivalent of US$120.00.    By the way, from the standpoint of both
craftsmanship and value, take a look at the double deployment stainless
bracelet on the IWC Flieger and Flieger Chronograph.  Looks outstanding on an
average sized wrist.

Joe Sobel

Joe Sobel