Subject: [Leica] The Rolex Hyperion and the Sekonic L-308B
From: Bryant <tbryant@wizard.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:42:01 +0000 ()

Hi Luggers,

    The LUG has been wallowing in Rolexes lately, and I can't resist passing
along Dave Barry's take on Rolex:

An excellence-oriented '80s male does not wear a regular watch.  He
wears a Rolex watch, because it weighs nearly six pounds and is
advertised only in excellence-oriented publications such as Fortune and
Rich Protestant Golfer Magazine.  The advertisements are written in
incomplete sentences, which is how advertising copywriters denote
excellence:

"The Rolex Hyperion.  An elegant new standard in quality excellence and
discriminating handcraftsmanship.  For the individual who is truly able
to discriminate with regard to excellent quality standards of crafting
things by hand.  Fabricated of 100 percent 24-karat gold.  No watch
parts or anything.  Just a great big chunk on your wrist.  Truly a
timeless statement.  For the individual who is very secure.  Who
doesn't need to be reminded all the time that he is very successful.
Much more successful than the people who laughed at him in high
school.  Because of his acne.  People who are probably nowhere near as
successful as he is now.  Maybe he'll go to his 20th reunion, and
they'll see his Rolex Hyperion.  Hahahahahahahahaha."

                -- Dave Barry, "In Search of Excellence"

I'll vote for my favorite meter:

> Whats a small and really reliable handheld meter U guys never leave home
>
> without....

Sekonic Digilite L-318B.  It uses AA batteries, cheap and avaliable almost
everywhere on the planet.

Jim Brick comments:

> Instant on. When it is off, you can take a reading as if it were on. It
> turns on, takes a reading and displays the result. In a fraction of a
> second. Other meters (Sekonic digital for instance - unless they've changed
> recently) require a power-on cycle that tests the display and who knows
> what else. Then after it is done (it takes its sweet time,) you can then
> take a reading.

   He's right.  Takes about 1.5 - 2 seconds.  Learn to punch the power button
as you pull it out of your pocket.  By the time you're lined up for a reading,
it's ready to go.

   Tom