Subject: Re: [Leica] Arf she said
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 18:52:23 EDT

In a message dated 9/17/00 10:08:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dpost@triad.rr.com writes:

<< After careful consideration, I have an idea that the translation would
 follow thusly:
 If by Surrealist she means a 'higher' realism, then we think of imaginative
 thought, and of course, a vantage point is simply- a point of view. Think of
 radical at being extreme to the norm, and 'modern culture' as- society.
 Devolution is a regression, a throwback, and irony is used here to show that
 the 'evidence' or things and events in our sphere of influence, are
 democratized- made common and cheap, in our current understanding of the
 word.
 The key word is 'strategy'- a means of implementing an agenda. So it
 basically boils down to-
 "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and " Those who fail to study
 history are doomed to repeat it..."
 See? It's really simple! :o)
 Dan (Geez! My head hurts!...Honey! Where's my Ritalin!?) Post

 > << Suzy said:
 >
 >  "The Surrealist strategy... has devolved into an easy irony
 > that...
 >   equates its scatter of evidence with
 >  history."  >>

Excellent Post, Dan.  Good work trying to make sense of pretentious and
ungrammatical pedantry.
 As you can see, I have now taken the liberty of redacting the sentence,
leaving one which would be easier to diagram.  "Strategy" is the subject, and
"irony" is the subject of the dependent clause.  The writer has attempted to
construct an elaborate and, I daresay, strained metaphor involving the words
"strategy" and "irony".
We behold the unseemly spectacle of an irony (a strategy, prior to its
devolution) caught in the act of equating its "scatter of evidence" with
"history".  Now, I ask you, have any of us had the singular misfortune
previously to have witnessed such a brazen act of equating, much less as
perpretrated by an upstart "irony" such as the sad remains of the Surrealist
strategy?  O, it offends decency, sir!

Joe Sobel

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Arf she said- ad nauseum :o))