Subject: Re: [Leica] leica - collector's or user's camera?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 18:31:34 -0700

Guy Bennett wrote:

> luggers,
>
> in a way, all the hubbub about the 0 series being a collector's or a user's
> camera reminds me of a discussion i had with a friend, a professional
> photographer who also teaches photography at a local university. it was at
> a show of his work about a year ago, after which we spent a moment
> discussing photographic equipment. at one point he asked me what kind of
> camera i used. when i responded: "a leica m6," he said: "isn't that just a
> camera for buff's?"
>
> he obviously believed that the m was a collector's camera, nothing more, an
> assessment with which most on this list would probably disagree.
>
> just a thought.
>
> guy

"Just a thought."???
More like a small M-80 as this was not Joe Blow but:
a "professional photographer who also teaches photography at a local university"
So many of my teachers were at least that dumb.
And so are plenty of professional photographers.
Who have never heard of Annie Leobowitz, HCB, Ralph Gibson and on and on and on.
I think it's a shame how out of the loop people are who really should not have
their head in the sand.
The list of pros who use M6's is small but not all that obsure.
The Nikon/Canon users love thier micromoters.
but they know that there is a different way of shooting out there!
So they act blasé or stupid about it.
"Gee i wonder if i spent a thousand bucks on a stupid hunk of glass it might be
better than this whirling thing I'm using now?"
markwr
The POST MODERN way of shooting!

Message from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> ([Leica] leica - collector's or user's camera?)