Subject: RE: [Leica] Incident Metering - resources needed
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 07:28:08 -0700

I've always used method b - it rarely fails.  Method a. seems clearly
incorrect - an incident meter is intended to measure the light falling on
the subject, so pointing the dome at the subject is likely to give major
overexposure.

Method c. is more problematic.  What the photographer was simulating in that
case was a situation where the camera was directly overhead of the subject.
Another way of putting it is he was metering for the highlights.  If he was
using fill flash this may be exactly what he intended - he would have been
approximating the technique used in the studio with a flat incident disc to
measure lighting ratios.  Without fill flash this technique would probably
result in a stop or so of underexposure.

Paul