Subject: Re: [Leica] Meta Photokina
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:12:30 -0700

> imx jotted down the following:
>
> > The designer Giorgio Giugiaro said recently that the
> > outward expereince of a tool reflects its inner genius of functionality.
>
> Guigiaro was the industrial designer involved in the F3 project.  I guess
> that placing the flash sync contacts over the rewind socket was his
> contribution of "genius" to that particular project...

Actually, Nikon has been mounting the flash over the rewind knob since the
original F.  The reasons are two fold: the standard hotshoe was/is too weak
to support the weight of a flash with decent power, and it would increase
complexity of the interchangeable finders.

I actually do like the arrangement with my F3/T, although it is indeed a
pain that you have to remove the flash to rewind and reload film.  It's not
as bad as it sounds.