Subject: Re: [Leica] Beginner B&W Question - Indoor Available Light
From: Robert Stevens <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:43:08 -0300

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Pascal wrote:
> > You should point out that none of the scanners are ultra SCSI, so any old
> > PCMCIA SCSI card should do.  With Windows, at least, when you plug in the
> > Adaptec card, the driver is already there.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I believe the Nikon Super Coolscan LS-2000 is Ultra SCSI (20 Mbps) and so is
> the Iomega Jaz 2 GB drive I am using on the same SCSI chain. I am using that
> one right now and the speed difference I obtained when using it on a Ultra
> SCSI card compared to a standard SCSI card was very much noticeable.
> But maybe other slide scanners "only" use standard SCSI, in which case you
> are, of course, right and any standard SCSI card (10 Mbps) would be fine !
> In any case, most flatbed scanners, as you said, only have standard SCSI.
>
> I am not sure I understand what you say with the Adaptec card. Any SCSI PC
> Card I know (Adaptec, Ratoc, Orange etc) uses its own driver and should, as
> advertised, work fine after proper installation (i.e. putting the card in
> the PC Card slot and installing the software driver). That procedure is no
> different from Windows to Mac (at least with the current "no SCSI" Macs,
> before that SCSI came standard on all Macs so the issue of installing extra
> software drivers was never there, but sadly, the speed of the built-in SCSI
> port of "legacy" Macs was limited to 5 Mbps).

- --

Pascal:

The Nikon is fast SCSI II, which means your scanner is fast because you just
have a good quality pc card, or fast machine.

http://www.nikonusa.com/products/feature.cfm?id=272&feature=319

As for the adaptec card in the Windows laptops, the driver is part of the
operating system, and you do not need to load other drivers.  What this means
is that when you plug in the card,  Windows brings up a message  "New Hardware
Found" and then installs the required drivers.  No reboot is required and your
SCSI devices are then recognized.

Regards,

Robert